Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday Words Five

Because I'm an editor, people tend to be very careful when they send me letters, emails, or texts. I guess it's a lot like ordering lunch when you're with a dietitian or driving the exact speed limit when you're behind a police car. To be honest, though, if you send a spelling error, I probably won't notice and if I do notice, I probably won't care. I will notice if you've used the wrong there/their/they're or two/too/to or your/you're, but I probably won't say anything. Probably.

I do, however, notice when certain words are butchered orally. And, again, I might not say anything, but inwardly, I can't help but cringe. Here are some examples:

1. Anyways - there is no such word. It's anyway. No s. Stop saying it with an s.

2. Safeways - see above. There is no s at the end. I have to go to Safeway multiple times a day to feed my teenage boys. And please, for the love of god, please don't add a "the." Honestly, it's not: I have to go to the Safeways.

3. Expecially - There is no x in this word. It's eSpecially. Let me axe you a question: do you find it annoying when people add an x where there isn't one? I do.

4. Unthaw - Come on! Thaw means to defrost. So then unthaw would mean to freeze. And why would you want to freeze your turkey before cooking it? This is a word that I would probably actually make fun of you for out loud. I wouldn't be able to help myself.

5. Supposably - Chandler says it best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z0Gitlj9bM

--

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, those are good ones (and a few guilty individuals pop into my mind). A phrase to add: I could care less.

    ReplyDelete