Wednesday, June 19, 2013

J is for Jingle Jams

It’s game time! I’m going to set my iTunes to shuffle and tell you about the first five songs that come up. (J is a tough one you guys. I just have nothing to say about jogging or jungles so this is what you’re stuck with. You certainly don’t have to read it if you don’t want. Obviously it’s up to you. But maybe you’ll find a new favourite song so maybe you just give it a chance for once. Geez.)

 

1. We are Never Ever Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift

We here in the Starlight family like T. Swift. We like to sing along with all her songs. On our most recent trip to San Francisco for a lacrosse tournament, we spent most of our time with a couple of other families. One of the families brought their 20-year-old daughter who is on summer break from University. One day she turns to me and says “Are you the kind of family that just burst into song at random moments?” Yes, yes we are. I like that about us.
 

 

2. Mull of Kintyre by Wings

X loved bagpipes. So do I; my dad used to play them in a marching band. My parents hired a piper to pipe us back up the aisle at our wedding; X cried. When the boys were small and couldn’t get back to sleep, this was his go-to song to sing to them. I don’t always think nice things or have good memories when it comes to X, but he was mostly a good person who loved his kids.
 
 

 

3. Keep Breathing by Ingrid Michaelson

In recent years, I have tended toward a more mellow sound for the most part. I also really like to sing along with this song. The song itself is only 17 lines long and six of those are “All we can do is keep breathing” so the memorization of the words didn’t take too terribly long. Plus it reminds me that all we can do is keep breathing, though you really have to read between the lines to find that message.

 

4. Hurricane by Lisa Loeb

When I was a teenager I listened to a lot of The Cure and The Smiths. I also had my head half-shaved. (It was the 80s though, so one half was shaved and the other half was backcombed and sprayed as big as I could get it.) I tried to give off the illusion that I lived an alternative lifestyle because I didn’t want to look and be like every single other girl in the entire school. It worked, sometimes too well as people often found me intimidating. Behind closed doors, I also had a collection of Corey Hart, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Menudo, Beastie Boys, Duran Duran, LL Cool J, Prince, Twisted Sister, and Def Leppard. I was all over the place.

But Lisa Loeb, her music reminds me of my shaved head and my first boyfriend and my first job and having Mr. Sub every day at lunch and learning to drive and talking on the phone for hours to people I just saw and playing basketball with my brother in the backyard and baggy pants with cinched ankles and coloured mascara.


 

5. Levitate by Hadouken!

Sometimes I like my music to be loud and fast. There is a drum solo in this song that I find impossible not to take my hands off the steering wheel to air drum.

 

Did I cheat? Did I just press forward until I found a song I liked? Yep. Sure did. I broke the rules to my own game. It’s only fair though, because a lot of the music on my iTunes is the boys’ music. I have Disney and the Spongebob Squarepants movie soundtrack from when they were young and all kinds of bands I’ve never even heard of from more recently. Children of Bodom? What the hell is that? Does Avenged Sevenfold sound like a band I would listen to? How about Black Veil Brides? My parents banned metal from my house when I was young; I obviously have not done the same.

 

There is no natural end to this post. It just keeps going on and on. Sorry.


--

No comments:

Post a Comment