Thursday, January 24, 2013

Go On and Make Your Jokes, Mr. Jokey Jokemaker

I have a friend. We'll call her "Ironman." Mostly because she is a two-time Ironman Finisher. Needless to say, she likes to be active. Which kind of sucks for me. She and her boyfriend have just broken up and she really wants to keep busy so as not to think about it. Fair enough, but how did I get caught in the middle of this.

Ironman: I never get to see you.
Me: Let's go out for dinner.
Ironman: Let's do something more active.
Me: We can park at the other side of the parking lot.

So, I'm now playing competitive dodgeball. There is a game every week, with rules and stuff. And playoffs, you guys. My history with team sports includes a season of soccer when I was seven and...nope, that's it. I mean, sure, there's that time that the boys' basketball team had a parent game. I played one shift and then kept score for the entire game cause apparently I'm really bad at basketball.

We played our first game last night. I freaked out on the way there. I have a little social anxiety problem and playing a sport I haven't played since grade 4 with strangers who expect stuff of me on a team where I knew exactly one person was not so much in my comfort zone. It turned out pretty well. Ironman rocked. She was catching balls and getting people out all over the place. She was a true asset to the team.

I played too.


--

No comments:

Post a Comment