1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
It actually ended up being a pretty quiet year, which was great after the gong show of 2011. I went on a cruise, though. I've never done that before. I'd even do it again; I didn't even mind that 90 percent of the other passengers were 100 years older than me.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I always make five resolutions. I achieved one. Sadly, there are two things that have been on that list for at least four years. Fingers crossed for this year. (It's funny how I pretend I have nothing to do with actually achieving those goals.)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I got a niece this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nobody close. X's grandma died. She was well into her 90s. We went to the funeral. It was lovely.
5. What countries did you visit?
We visited Honduras, Belize, Mexico, and the US. We also went to the mountains for a week with my aunt and cousins and had a blast.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Same answer as last year: fame, fortune, perhaps someone who will take me out for the kind of dinner I have to dress up for.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
On July 7, I celebrated my 40th birthday. Honestly, it was a quiet year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My biggest achievement was more internal. And kinda lame-sounding. I think, for the most part, I found some inner peace. I'm not saying I never feel stress or frustration, but I've really worked to just fuckin' relax.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not achieving the previously mentioned resolutions that have been on my list for such a long time.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major that I remember.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought some UGG's wedges this year. They are so pretty.
I am hoping one year to say something more fabulous like a car or a house, but for now you can look at my pretty shoes. 12. Where did most of your money go?
Where it usually ends up: raising kids.
13. What did you get really excited about?
I started talking to an old friend that I haven't seen for a very long time. Our kids go to the same school now and have a lot in common. And so do we.
14. What song will always remind you of 2012?
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder?
Thinner or fatter? The same but I plan to answer this "thinner" later in the year.
Richer or poorer? Also the same, but I'm ok with that.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I had exercised more. Not even just because it's good for me, but because it makes me feel good.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. How did you spend Christmas?
The same as usual. Christmas Eve dinner at Denny's, then church. We get up EARLY in the morning (Twin A was texting me "wake up" messages at 517am. I made him wait until 6*). Open presents, invite my parents over, open more presents, breakfast. This year we went over to my brother's to open more presents and then X's sister's to open more presents. My favourite kind of day.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
New Girl. I cannot get enough of that show.
My goal was to read more than 47 books (because that's how many I read in 2011). That was the only resolution that I actually achieved. I read 80. My favourites of those 80 were "What Alice Forgot." It's about this woman who slips, bangs her head, and can't remember anything from the last 10 years. I also really liked "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." It reminds me a lot of "Catcher in the Rye" and I really like that book.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I'm not really sure what it's called. Mellow-pop maybe?
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I never really spend a whole lot of time in the theatre. I did see "This is 40" which I liked a lot. We also got Netflix, so we've been watching a lot of movies and tv shows. Our brand new favourite is called "Better Off Ted." How have we never heard of this show before. It's amazing.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 40. My parents had a party for me at a local lounge. It was fun. I have a lot of friends, but many different groups. So most of my friends don't know each other. I couldn't really relax and enjoy my party because I was so concerned that I wasn't spending enough time with each group. All the same, I really, really loved that so many friends could make it.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I honestly loved 2012. A lot of things seemed to fall in place. Sure, it'd be nice to have a ton of money and be able to do whatever I wanted when I wanted to do it, but that's not overly realistic.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Same answer as last year: lazy. Dresses are easy so I didn't have to put a whole lot of thought or effort into my clothing choices.
26. What kept you sane?
A more balanced life with more needs being met.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
There are very few things that deserve the amount of stress and anxiety we give them.
So, that was my year. I will try to blog more in the coming year. And hopefully, the posts won't be as boring as this one.
* Christmas morning text conversation with Twin A who is in his own bed across the hall from mine.
Twin A: WAKE UP! IT'S CHRISTMAS!
Me: No. 6 o'clock.
Twin A: That's ridiculous! So I'm just supposed to lay here for another 38 minutes?!
Me: Shhhh. Mommy's sleeping.
Twin A: I'll try to cry more gently into my pillows then.