Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Honduras

I've realized (since Malison's comment yesterday) that not everybody comes from a family that knows everything about football. Therefore, perhaps you're not all getting the joke about the pose that my kids strike every time a picture is taken.

Allow me to introduce Tim Tebow. He is the quarterback for the Denver Broncos and well known for his thankfulness every time he gets a touchdown...specifically to a higher power. Tebowing has become the new planking.




Now that we've got that cleared up. Let me tell you about my next home. Roatan, Honduras was probably our favourite of the stops we made. It was beautiful, fun, and the people we met there were really nice (granted they were all in the tourist industry, but still).

While we were there, we visited an eco park called Gumbalimba. We hiked around, went into a cave, and ducked when the bats flew at my head.



Then we came upon a bird enclosure. Every morning the birds are let out of the cage and every evening they find their way back home. Mostly the birds are parrots and macaws. I let a macaw sit on my shoulder. I hate birds. This one seemed nice though; it didn't try to eat me.

And to add further to my bravery (because when it comes down to it, nothing makes me braver than trying to teach my kids that new things should be tried and not shied away from no matter how much I don't want to do something), we hiked a little further to the place where they let their monkeys play.

It is not enclosed. And we were prepared with a warning to let the monkeys do whatever they want. Because if you try to grab them or swat them away or run from them, they will think you are playing and they do not play nice.

There were monkeys sitting on my shoulders. And climbing up my legs (not all at the same time), and hanging out upon my body. It was pretty cool.

Our next stop was a beach called Tabyana. It was beautiful. The boys had never played in the ocean before...it didn't take them long to realize that they don't like the taste of it. My reply: why are you drinking it?

--

No comments:

Post a Comment