Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Simple

In my first year of college (2004), I took a creative writing class. We were given an assignment; we were to answer a bunch of questions--questions like "If you were a tree/flower/fruit/colour, what kind would you be?"

**Side note** I was actually asked what colour I would be if I were a colour in a job interview once. Stupid question, I thought. I answered that I would be skin colour. Duh. I got the job anyway.

Obviously, I am far too logical to find this kind of metaphor appealing in my own writing. It's just so...so lame. Anyway, this is what I came up with. And surprisingly, it's still one of my favourite pieces of writing to this day.



Simple

I am not abstract art,
there is no confusion, no need to tilt your head to one side.

I am not large, obscure words;
do not take out your dictionary or thesaurus.

I am not a violin,
all intricate and needing to be played exactly.

I am a daisy
simple
I am a giggle in church
playful
I am baby-soft skin
natural
I am a fawn
trusting

I am not a mango!



--

No comments:

Post a Comment